Monday, August 16, 2010

sew simple

I suppose the idea took root while I was at Target last week. I was parusing the kids clearance racks as usual, when I found this simple shirt for the sweet circo price of $2.80.

A simple, typical, not overly brilliant find.

While Stella will probably not be in "need" of another summer shirt anytime before the cow jumps over the moon, I was drawn to the cute ruffle around the collar. And so I bought it, seeing it's potential, and with the determination to "make it better".

I should probably mention that my sewing skills are amateur at best. While I have sewn many a pillow and curtain no problem, I have never taken the time to learn how to read a clothing pattern. I'm more of a straight line, square sewer. So, I proceeded as I usually do when I'm stumped. I pulled a dress out of Stella's closet and studied it...turned it inside out to look at the stitching, took into account the length, width, etc.

And while Tim was snoring logs Saturdy night, I dusted off my sewing machine, got out my bin of fabric, and got to work. Check out my creation.....

While it's a little rough, and the bottom hem is sketchy at best, I'm pretty proud of it! Slightly afraid to wash it, but proud nonetheless. It was good practice and quite fun, and I'm certain my next one will be better...since I have 2 more little girls that would like one :)
Also, "thank you" for all of the sofa advice. I'm hoping once school begins I will be able to venture back out to the furniture store again :)

4 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

Looks really cute! Great job:-)

Olivia said...

So creative! What a great idea!!

If only I had a girl - it wouldn't look so great on my boys :(

kkoois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kkoois said...

Cute, Nat! I'm impressed. You've come a long way from a purple sweatshirt with red sleeves :)