Thursday, August 12, 2010

i could use a little help here....

....alright, that statement begs for trouble, so let me begin by telling you a little story.

The date was Feb 13, 2009. I was out for the day on my semi-annual outlet shopping trip with my dear friend Michelle. My kitchen was in a state of remodelling chaos, and I was on the hunt for a little chais sofa for our soon to be finished sunporch.
We were in Pottery Barn when I spotted 2 of them, and the price was right. I certainly liked one more than the other, and so I found a sales clerk to learn protocol for purchasing such a goody. He told me to grab the tag off of it, and take it up with me when I was ready to check out. Long story short, I apparantly had the wrong tag, and it was sold right out from under me. I was ticked and disappointed, and it felt good to blame the lady who commented how cute it was while I was grabbing my tag.

Well, my friend got over my loss more quickly than I, and moved on to the Gap. I however, stuck around and stewed for a bit. I walked through the furniture section one more time and re-aquainted myself with the other chais. As I was looking around, I noticed that there were other pieces of couch scattered throughout the store with material matching the chais. I asked the sales clerk, who felt really bad about the previous incident, if it was supposed to go together and he said "yes", and proceeded to put it together for me. It turned into a nice sectional sofa, and the price was scathingly brilliant. I re-arranged my train of thought and decided it would go nicely in my newly painted living room....since we were in the market for a new sofa too.

I promptly called Michelle out of the Gap to get her honest opinion, and to sit on my couch and ward off eager shoppers while I called up Tim. He gave me a little bit of a hard time, but after much convincing I received the green light. He ended the call by saying "Happy Valentines Day, this is your present" LOL.

Well, with the kind help of my mother-in-law, we brought the sofa home the next day.... and tho it was pretty, it was a tad too long for our living room, a little bit awkward, and slightly uncomfortable. As it turns out, sofas feel a lot more cushy when you've been on your feet shopping. However, I knew better than to complain about this....in all, it was a very pretty and well built couch.
Okay sorry, this story is getting a tad long winded.

Fastforward to a few weeks ago, I had a garage sale. The kids had a lemonade stand, and we got rid of some much needed stuff.

I listed my sale on Craigs List, and just for fun in the description of items I threw in Pottery Barn sofa. Couldn't for the life of me sell a double stroller, but low and behold someone came over specifically to see my sofa....and wouldn't you know, they bought it. It kind of caught me off guard, because I honestly never thought about it again after I listed it.

I like to think I'm pretty savvy because I made a profit on it. I told Tim as much when I called to tell him I sold it. I probably should have at least mentioned to him that it was for sale LOL.
Anyhow, this is what we're left with ....

The kids actually love our couch-less livingroom. The big open space affords them plenty of room to play, and it's much easier to vaccuum :) Last week Austin was sick, and without thinking, I told him to go lay down on the couch. He looked at me "I can't MOM!" Sure enough....and hence the reason for this post.

I stumbled upon some alone time this week, so I eagerly set out on a sofa shopping adventure... only to be left completely overwhelmed. I am a nervous nellie about buying the perfect couch. I have looked just about everywhere and can't seem to make a decision.

Do I go neutral, brown or the red I've always wanted? Leather, micro suede or cloth? Attached cushions or separate? Couch and chair or sectional? I can't make one single decision.

Any thoughts? Anything you love, or advice of something you wouldn't do again? Talk amongst yourselves....

7 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

I am very interested in what people say here! I too want to buy a new couch eventually, but I am nervous to do so... what if the girls wreck it? I was thinking about mircosuede, I've heard a lot of good things about them... if you don't mind the way your kids can "brush" designs on them ;) I too can't decide on a perfect color. I have always loved red too... but will I get sick of it? I was thinking a medium brown... But I am picky! I want it to have feet, and I would love a tufted back! Could someone just design one for me??

Sonny said...

What a great story, Nat! It gave me a good chuckle tonight!

Anyway, I have the micro-suede couches, and LOVE them. I've had ink pen accidentally drawn on them, and it came off with just a wet wash cloth - no joke! They clean up nice with a Bissel Green Machine, and they've been comfy for the last 8 years.

I would also suggest going a solid color - but a color you LOVE. You can dress it up with throws, cool pillows etc. . . and those are cheap and easy to change up if you want to . . . and I KNOW you will!

There's my two-cents.

Have fun furniture shopping . . . I'm a little jealous!

Michelle said...

Sounds like we need to make another trip to Birch Run. Way to go on the profit!! Woo Hoo. I believe those were your words "Hey, if it doesn't work out, I could always sell it and probably make some money." Who knew that you'd get 18 months out of it and then a profit! Good work!

Anonymous said...

so here's my two cents- go for a neutral color in a washable fabric like microfiber. sonny is totally right- it cleans up great! dress it up with the bright stuff that is easier to change than getting a whole new sofa. i am assuming tim will not be as understanding if you try to sell the next one in a year:) go for attached cushions; i think they hold up better than unattached ones that can get squished down. and go for the couch and chair combo b/c then you can possibly do different arrangements of the furniture and not everyone has to sit next to eachother if the don't want to. ring any bells with kids??? anyway, that is my long winded opinion. good luck couch shopping!

-amanda m.

Michelle said...

I love my leather. For my house I wish I would have had a sectional, but you might rather have a sofa and a chair, you could get a solid color sofa and one or two funky chairs.

have fun!

Michelle said...

oh, I forgot. no pillow backs. They look so cozy but only end up being made into forts EVERYday. Amanda's right... attached cushions. They always look neater.

wow, so many opinions on the subject :)

natalie said...

hey ladies, thank you for all of the advice! i am definately leaning towards a brown attached cushion sofa. the size remains up for grabs...and i suppose the price tag will be the ultimate decider LOL. i'll post pics when I get one!