Thursday, June 10, 2010

Project "Eliminate Boredom" Day 1

So, summer vacation is now in full swing around here. An hour after getting off the bus yesterday, Austin was bored and begging me to call a friend.

For the past few weeks I've been trying to wrap my head around summer, and how it will work with 5 kids at home all. day. long. I've been randomly jotting down ideas of things to do when they are bored, sketching out a tentative schedule of how our day will flow at home, making lists of fun, attainable and cheap outings, making lists of daily chores, and making up separate lists of chores, for when they grumble about their regular chores LOL.

My kids, who are no different than most kids, would like to be entertained all day long, with responsibility left to the bare minimum.

Well, since my kids are "Crocodile Hunter" meets "Martha Stewart".....really just a sweet combination of Tim and I :), I've decided that crafts are a must.

My kids LOVE to do crafts, but they especially love "real" planned out crafts. Giving them glue and a toilet paper roll doesn't quite cut it anymore. So, my goal is to do one "organized" craft each day we spend at home with no plans on the calendar. Besides, it will give this guy a brief respite from Dylans catch and release program.


Poor frog never gets free because 5 minutes after being released, Dylan seems to "re-catch" it. Stupid frog needs to learn to jump faster. I digress.

Todays craft Tie Dye shirts.



not so happy to be set down while I help the kids :)

Wa- Laa! Our finished shirts! Apparantly I washed them on too hot of a setting because we lost most of the color. But, the kids had fun and they're excited they all match...even Elles.

Stay tuned for tommorows craft!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way cool!!! I think I will have to my craft day each week after you post. :) I think the boys would love to do this too.

I think I'm going to make an "I'm bored" jar, filled with some fun activities and some not so fun chores. Something like this
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/06/09/mom-im-bored-jar-from-somewhat-simple/

and we need to plan play dates. I have had enough crying the last day and half to last me for a while. :)

Unknown said...

check out SkiptomyLou.org for more crafts. Today they have homemade puffy paint...looks cool, but messy. :)

MiniMe Mom said...

So cute, Nat. Love the group shot!

Becky said...

You truly are a Super MOM! Looks like fun at your house, but don't tell my kids else they will want you as THEIR MOM!!! Thanks for the great ideas, we definitely will stay tuned & probably steal and idea or two. Enjoy Summer- Becky Verduin