Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer is kicking my butt.

It is.

It really, really, is.

Don't get me wrong, I am honestly not ready for the kids to go back to school just yet.  We are having a great summer, and I'm trying to enjoy every single day. 

However, Tim is super busy at work right now, which puts me on my own a fair share of the time. And while I can hold everything together pretty well, it slowly wears on me as the week goes along. By Thursday I usually start to unravel, because I just can't seem to catch a break....and the little things become colassal.

I can't decide if I get more overwhelmed taking my fab five around town with me for every single errand, or staying home all day.... taking Ellery off the counter for the 14th time in an hour, unpealing panty liners opened up and pasted onto the cupboards like stickers, breaking up fights, listening to screaming every time I move, weeping over my unceasing filthy floors and disheveled rooms, just getting lunch cleaned up, only to discover it's time to get dinner rolling, and walking through the woods with a baby on my hip calling Phoebe's name, yet again.

I've tried my best to pack in the fun.
But inevetably, the kids are divided into the "big kids" and the "little girls".  Naps are modified, and as sure as the sky is blue....my blood pressure rises, no matter what we do.  We leave the library in a hurry because 1 gal is dumping books, and the other crying, I am wanted in 3 different places at the beach....you fill in the activity.

I love my kids with all my heart, but let's face it....kids are hard.

I so badly want to be the best mom I can be for them....to be understanding, patient, firm and loving, a good listening ear, a teacher, a heart nurturer...etc. You know, pretty much all of those darn fruits of the spirit .  It is my daily prayer.  But life can be so challenging and wearisome sometimes, can't it?  It brings me to my knees every single day. I do know someday I will mourn this season of life, because I truly do enjoy it.  The saying "The days are long, but the years fly by" rings oh so true to me these days.

And now that I've given you a lengthy explanation  as to why I just can't seem to get it together to blog these days, I will leave you with some pictures from our weekend. 

What could be more fun than taking 7 people out in a flat bottom boat designed for 5?  Where we live, we are fortunate to be within minutes of a lake in every direction.  Sunday afternoon we took a nice little boat ride, fished, and chatted over doritos and juice boxes.  Good times.


3 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

All I have to say is... Well put Nat! We are all there with you! Every morning I pray for patience, and every day somehow I lose it like a set of keys! ;)

Michelle said...

This post is very touching, and so much of it rings true at my home as well. The balance of loving this season of life and downright slogging through it is hard to find. I appreciate your authenticity :) You are loved and you love well, my friend. :)

AnneG said...

This is so cute! I'm with you- the years really do fly by. But taking time for yourself is important- here's my recommendation Calming