Monday, January 10, 2011

dare i say....

...that we're officially down to one child in diapers?

 9 straight years of buying diapers....and we're down to one.

 Liberating I tell you. 

And yet it makes me a little sad at the same time.  Ridiculous? yes.
It turns out, the unbending stubborness that kept this little girl from doing her duty on the potty, is the same will that gave her the determination to be trained. 


As mentioned in a previous post, we were in a bad cycle of the little gal holding her business until she was back in the security of her diaper at naptime and bedtime.  Since candy is the way to her heart, we would sit her on the potty and dangle M & M's in front of her face.  She wanted them SO badly, but clearly not enough to go.  Tim would sit her at the counter and make her drink, and drink, and drink.  But she wouldn't go.  When she had accidents (which didn't happen very often), it was always 5 minutes after getting off of the potty.  Eventually she would tire, and ask to go to bed.  "I wear diapers"  she would tell us as we put her down. A few hours later, she would wake up from her nap, full diaper, and no need to use the potty.

In her defense, I can honestly say I wasn't giving it my best during the week for consistency sake...most of the effort came on the weekend when Tim was home.  Between potty training the dog, a baby who automatically starts screaming every time I set her down,  and hearing "mom" no less than 200 times a day, I confess I just wanted to take the easy road. 

Wow, this is turning into the longest explanation ever!  Stay with me. 

Last week the kids were on Christmas break, and I was homebound in what already felt like a state of chaos, so  I decided to put her down for a nap without a diaper....fully prepared for the extra laundry.

Wouldn't you know, she woke up dry!

I put her on the potty right away, and she went!  She recieved her candy reward, and it must have finally clicked in her brain, because she has been going ever since. 

It took about a day before the big kids started feeling jipped.  And so now when Stella goes, we all get candy...including me :)  It's a family event, and the big kids are more than willing to help her out and encourage her.  I'm sure our dentist would be proud :)

She's a smart one too.  Her love affair with candy has her claiming unflushed toilets, and asking for candy ever time she toots.

She will now tell you " I a big girl, Elle's wear diapers."

Next up?....the pacifier :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Stella!!!!

Jen said...

Maybe Stella can come teach Wyatt. He does the exact same thing . . . holds it til naptime. After 12 years of diapers, I am ready to be done! :-)

Michelle said...

Your dentist's wife fully supports the candy. Especially if I can have some! Way to go Stella, so happy it's done! Drew's been dry for almost a week at night! Maybe done with diapers at night too! It's a great feeling and it felt great leaving Costco today without that hefty bill!

Becky said...

Great Job Stella- Candy is definitely a motivator at our house too! Micah is working on it but it is taking longer than this mom would like. I had BIG HOPES of having him completely trained before baby comes but doesn't look like that will happen. Oh Well- You survived so we will too!