Thursday, December 2, 2010

bathroom business

While some people dream in black and white, my head is frequently filled with an eclectic mix of polka dots, stripes, and flowers...in complimenting shades of magenta, teal, and chartruese, naturally. 

On any given day, there are usually way too many crafty ideas swirling around up there. I love just looking at my fabric, scheming up ways to use it to it's best potential.
Too many ideas, too little time.

Needless to say, whenever I spend large amounts of time in one particular room of our house, my mind and imagination take over, and I get the urge to change it up a bit.

Well, this is my view as of late....


How's it going, you ask?  Well, she can successfully hold it from breakfast till naptime...and then from naptime till bedtime. Mind you, she sits on the toilet every 30 minutes.  During her "sleeps" she wears a diaper, and lets it all out.  So much so, that between her and Ellery, I am washing sheets like it's my only domestic job around here.

But, that is not the reason for my post :)

I have actually wanted to refresh my bathroom for awhile now.  We competely remodelled it back in Jan of '05,....and Tim will confirm I was a bit of a pester, quite certain Dylan was going to be born before it was complete.  Well, he got it done, and it has been exactly the same ever since.  A ridiculously long time for me, I'd say.

The way I see it, the shower curtain is kind of the "focal point" of a bathroom....at least it is in mine.  I think it's much easier to find a fabric you love, and match a paint color, rather than the other way around.  So, that is where I decided to start.

 While I simply adore this shower curtain from Anthropologie.....


...it retails for $119.

Let's face it.  There is really no way to sugar coat $119.   Tim would blow a gasket if I spent that kind of money on a shower curtain....considering he'd prefer the $1.99 clear liner to be the only curtain any day :)

So, I found myself a tutorial blog, and decided to try and make it myself.

And let me be the first to tell you, it is worth every penny of that $119. I would charge more :)  This project was a true labor of love.

My new shower curtain....



As Sydney put it  "I think it's too colorful mom" 

Perhaps, but I spent way too much time on it to dislike it :)  Now that I am the proud owner of a seam ripper, I may take the brown stripes out and replace them with something plainer.

Any thoughts on paint colors, friends?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I vote for a pale shade of the teal. Love it by the way. I'm so in awe of your creativity. :)

MiniMe Mom said...

I love it! It turned out great!

Olivia said...

Nice work Nat!! I think it looks great :) I give you credit for all of that gathering!

I totally hear you about the too many ideas, too little time. Oh, if only...

Unknown said...

It's adorable!!!! I like the idea of a shade of teal. BTW you are way better at getting projects done...I keep dreaming and gathering ideas but I never go through with them.

Side Note: I'm super excited about coffee in the morning. See you then.

Becky said...

Too Cute- I am in awe of your creativity and ability to do it yourself!

Triplet Mom said...

I love it Nat!! I would do a very pale color as well! You have enough color in the curtain, and you could do a white wall and it would great! If teal... I would do VERY pale!

P.S. you make me want to learn to sew!

natalie said...

thanks all! I think I may just paint our bathroom white! A color I hadn't even thought of LOL.