Friday, August 7, 2009

11 years of wedded bliss....

Tommorw we celebrate 11 years of marriage, Tim and I.

When I think back to our wedding, it still to this day makes me smile from cheek to cheek. It was absolutely perfect, though everything "went wrong" ......it rained, Tim called my bluff and followed through in wearing his brown cowboy boots with his tux, our best man almost fainted, a candle was knocked over, my dad forgot to walk in with my mom and had to sprint to catch up, I said "I do" at the wrong time, we were pronounced husband and wife in the wrong state, we missed our honeymoon plane though we had stayed at Hilton O'Hare.....oh the list could go on and on.

I endearingly remember all of those "wrongs". It was absolutely perfect. We were young and in love and that was all that mattered in our world. Fastforward 11 years, we are still just as in love and for that i am thankful. Yes, we've changed and experienced alot along the way, but the love is there stronger.
I will bore you no more with sappiness and nostalgia, instead i will tell you a little story about my Tim and why I love him.

It was the Saturday before Christmas 2006. Austin had just turned 5, Sydney almost 4, and Dylan was just shy of 2.

Tim decided he would take the kids Christmas shopping for the day so that they could buy presents for me. They spent all morning shopping for the usuals....they picked out candles, lotion, books and other sweet randoms.

The hot item that year? The velour pant and hoody combo, easily found at Target. This is what Tim was going to buy for me. After all, that is what delighted his eyes every evening he came home from work ....still does :)

Before leaving to shop, he asked me what size i might wear. I told him to hold it up, but medium or large depending on the length.

So, Tim is tromping through Target with 3 disheveled little kids wearing wet snow boots, sticky from suckers and ready for a nap. It's been a long morning, and Target is their last stop. He is walking through the store looking at the signage and gets a bit confused. He sees the sign for Misses and Women and thinks to himself.... "womens... ah yes, i've definately got me a woman" ....so off to the womens sections they go.

He quickly finds the section displaying a rainbow of velour. Pulling them off the rack, he notices they are not in small, medium, large sizes like i had led him to believe. Most of the sizes are instead numbered in the 20's. Hmm, he thinks on this for a bit. After much internal debate, the logical part of his brain wins out. He figures these must somehow be numbered like mens sizes, because that's the only way to make sense of it.


So he thinks it through. His jean size? ....a 32 waist. He knows back in the day we wore the same jeans, so he goes through the rack and finally settles on a 28. Bless his heart for downsizing me! A true display of love! He thinks to himself ....hmm, they do look a bit large, but you really can't argue with the numbers, they don't lie after all.

Fastforward to Christmas Eve. We had a wonderful evening together. He eagerly watches as I open up my box, and starts to explain that he still has the reciept if I don't like them- because after all, Sydney had the final say on color choice.

I hold them up and try not to laugh. His comment..." Yeah, I thought they looked a little big, but you're always saying you've got wide hips"

Yes indeed, that IS what i say, however, we could both fit in one leg.....but oddly, that is why I love this guy!

Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks so much for making me laugh!!!! The last story is the best, but at least he honestly tried! I also love the memories of your wedding, funny thing is now that you say them, I remember them all too. Oh well! It was a great day. Happy Anniversary and May God continue to bless you and Tim with many more. Becky & VJ too :)

edejong said...

Congrats!! I remember the "day" well! Blessings to you in year 12.

holly said...

I remember that day very well!! Congrats and I love your Christmas story. It is so... Tim!