Monday, January 5, 2009

my goals

new years resolutions....i'm not very good at them. i've made many resolutions in years past and have always been done with them by the first week of March- at the latest. They are usually just silly ones too. Last year i was going to give up Hudsonville ice cream...till they had a great sale, and then my thriftiness kicked in and we kicked the bucket for the good stuff again. The year before that i was going to lose a few lbs.....the treadmill that Tim so thoughtfully bought for me has been collecting dust for 2 years now.
I do so love a fresh start though...a chance to resolve and determine to improve, to set new goals, to reflect and re-evaluate. There are so many areas in my life that could really use some serious improvement. Unfortunately in the busyness of life, I often lack the motivation and discipline to do anything about it. I can also rationalize anything and everything, so that combined with a serious case of procrastination do not bode well for me.

Rather than make any resolution, i thought i would sit down and write out some of my goals. The trouble with new years resolutions for me is that they don't leave any room to mess up. It seems not if, but when I mess up I'm done with whatever goal I set, and then it just kind of disappears until it bothers me enough again. I'm sure I will fail at some of these, but they are simply goals- so i will determine to keep trying.
2009 goals
*I want to be more consistent with the kids. I often react to them based on my emotions, and i want to try real hard not to do this!

*I want to be more intentional with the time that i spend with my kids.

*I want to go on a date with Tim once a month.

*I want to improve our morning routine before school, which means i need to be more organized the night before.

*I want to read my Bible more & pray at the start of every day. My days are so good when i start them out right. I also want to pray more with the kids- not just at meals and bedtime.
*I want to send out cards to people i care about to let them know, and take the time to be a better friend.

*I want to start drinking more water and less coffee
*I want to use my treadmill in the winter....solidify some of the jiggle so i can look forward to summer.

*I want to make a meal plan so that i know whats for dinner. I think this will greatly help us save on groceries.
That's it! I'm sure there are many more areas i need to work on ...but this is what i'm going to concentrate on for now. Perhaps by writing these out I now have accountability. None of these are by any means hard, but just take discipline.
I leave you with my laughing baby....


2 comments:

Michelle said...

oh Nat, we are so alike sometimes.
and i find it comforting that i am no the only one that struggles with the day to day discipline.

you can do these things! thanks for sharing.

MiniMe Mom said...

Almost all of these are my list as well. Well, except replace coffee with Coke.

We can do it, girls.