Monday, January 26, 2009

i want to be amish

"I want to be amish" said Austin as we were driving to Splash Universe this past weekend. We were driving by and watching those sweet horse and buggys drive down the road at the speed of 5 mph, laundry was hanging on the line (those must have been some seriously cold undies!), kids running around playing in the snow.

Not a bad idea.
I sometimes dwell on how times have changed. We make life so busy. Back in the day people visited over coffee every afternoon, people sat on their porches and talked, they handwrote letters to those they cared about.
Today i'm considering the value of my landline telephone. If i need to "talk" to someone my first instinct is to go to my computer.... kind of sad huh.

I love hearing those "back in the day stories". I love hearing stories from our grandparents generation...hearing and appreciating all they went through. I often think it would have been fun to be a pioneer woman. I'm one of those wierdos that always imagines myself in another time....one might say I have an active imagination. When i pick my strawberries and work in the garden, i pretend like i'm on back on the prairie. The 2 babies i chose to deliver without an epidural, i pretended like the year was 1900 and i was tough. i know, odd.

I know that simplicity is a ton of work, and I do appreciate all of my modern conveniences. I can't imagine what life would be like without electricity, indoor plumbing, high speed internet, and cream of mushroom soup!
Ah well, enough on that. thank you Amish for building a waterpark in your town :) the kids had a blast. Here are some pics of our fun.... thank you mom and dad!




1 comment:

kim said...

yeah...i took some of those pictures!!! it was fun...maybe next time i won't be so afraid to go down the "big" waterslide!