Thursday, March 10, 2011

random life

I  cleaned out the cupboard above my desk today.

You know, that cupboard.

The one that hangs directly over the desk.  The desk that rolls out the red carpet for school papers, newsletters, bills, junk mail, kids art work, random lists, buttons, memory cards, sticky notes, computer gadgets, coffee cups, candy wrappers, cards, and basically whatever is hastily tossed at it on a daily basis. 

Well, that cupboard, is the one that on a moments notice, can safely tuck that heap of junk behind its doors... making the desk feel all neat and tidy again, and me feel like i've got it all together.  The intention is to sort through it later, naturally....but thanks to my gift of procrastination, it usually doesn't happen until i'm frantically searching for a permission slip.

Well, while going through a precipice of mostly useless papers today, I stumbled across this little poem that got stuck in the mix.  And I thought I'd share it with you, because it made me smile. 

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
By:  Erma Bombeck

If I had my life to live over again, I would have waxed less and listened more.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy and complaining about the shadow over my feet, I'd have cherished every minute of it and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was to be my only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten popcorn in the "good" living room and worried less about the dirt when you lit the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have burnt the pink candle that was sculptured like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat cross-legged on the lawn with my children and never worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television, and more while watching real life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have eaten less cottage cheese and more ice cream.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of pretending the Earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for a day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

When my child kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later, Now go get washed up for dinner"

There would have been more I love you's, more I'm sorry's, more I'm listenings, bu mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute of it, look at it and really see it...try it on...live it...exhaust it...and never give that minute back until there was nothing left of it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Thanks for the poem and for reminding us all to enjoy the present moments of life as they all too quickly pass. Hope you can enjoy some family time this weekend- Becky