Thursday, February 3, 2011

groundhog day

For most, the flip of the calendar from January to February signifies yet another month of winter.  A short one, but usually a cold, snowy one, nonetheless.... just when you're starting to tire of Jack Frost nipping at your toes. We are trained not to set our eyes on spring until at least March.

For our family, the calendar flip is both happy and bittersweet.  By the end of this short month, my 3 middle kiddos will all be another year older.  "A birthday a week" is the motto around here.

We are blessed....tremendously.  Sure there have been some bumps along the way, but in 8 short years, the Lord has graced us with 5 beautiful children.  The combination of moving forward into this new decade, and taking  measures to ensure that our biological family is complete, has caused me a lot of reflection as of late, and sappy Nat has been sneaking out.

Austin was born in Nov.'01 and Elle Nov. '09.  Our children were all born neat and tidy, tucked into the first decade of this century.  A decade defined by stretch marks, tremendous joy, diapers, crying, anticipation, Curious George, long days, the park, reading books, seeing 3am come and go on a regular basis, never-ending toys and crumbs, and a longing to get out of the house alone.

As we push forward into this next decade, I realize this new chapter will be defined quite differently.  Lord willing, we will see our kids become teenagers, enter high school, drive, and begin to make a life for themselves....and I am quite certain I will long to be back in these simple days.  Rather than requesting they all stop talking to me for 5 minutes, I'm sure I will covet what they are willing to share with their still hip and stylish mother :)

Today is a snow day, the kids are home, and I am ejoying them. 



 
As I was walking around the house I started to get a bit disgruntled by all the job-security these little darlings provide me.  I realized some day I might miss all of this chaos....and since my camara was already out, I took a few photos that define our home in the present day....


the toothpaste that is always on the counter

 the naked barbie that lives in the handles of the entertainment center...to keep Elle out, naturally :)

the matchbox cars in my birdcage

 school papers
 the stairs
Have a blessed day friends!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Great post. I luv sappy Nat.

I also luv the barbie safety lock on the cabinet... I'll have to remember that one!

also, are you sure you weren't taking those photos at my house last week? it looks very similar over here. ;-)