Tuesday, September 23, 2008

memory lane











whenever i look at this picture it makes me smile.
i can still remember the day....my birthday 1995 @ chi chis.... the only place in town where a poor college student could stretch her dollar on free chips and salsa. it takes me back to a time when many of my best friendships were formed- carefree times.

we've changed and grown so much in the past 13 years. when i met tim i was a "stubborn city girl", as he so affectionately called me. tim and i were so different. i knew that hunting was a real thing, but i thought only people living in montana actually did it. i thought cowboy boots were tacky. i had never been off-roading. i measured my distances in minutes, not miles (this one still causes arguments). tim introduced me to so many new things. he intrigued me. some of my fondest memories are from those days. we would go out for coffee almost every night of the week to Perkins (no dennys for us, we were sophisticated:) we would sit for hours drinking pots of coffee while tim ate his chocolate chipper, me my cinamon roll, talking about all the homework we still had to accomplish.

we celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary last month. we laughed because tim(who insisted on wearing his cowboy boots to our wedding, thus causing me to write a disclaimer in our program) suprised me with a quick trip to a resort where we golfed. he never would have seen that coming ten years ago:) we reminisced back to those early days of marriage and realized how much our lives have changed since then. we laughed about everything that went wrong at our wedding, we talked about all the good times, we laughed about all the things we fought about in the early years of our marriage.

as much as i look back to those days and crave all the time that we had, the lack of worries, the carefree fun, i wouldn't go back. after ten years of being together we are in such a good place. it's a comfortable place. we know each other well enough to read each others minds, we understand each other WAY better than 10 years ago- our arguments are much more efficient now ;) we have 4 beautiful children, and he still thinks i'm hot!.... oh so much to be thankful for. i love you tim, can't wait to see what the next 10 brings!

5 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

Congrats, you guys! Wishing you many more years of happiness.

As for the coffee drinking...some things never change, huh?

i am not said...

I don't think I've ever seen sappy Natums:)

I was there - I have pictures of that day, too! And your wedding will forever be etched in my memory!

I agree - I wouldn't go back 10 years in my marriage, but I wish I could go back to that time because I miss my friends from that time... and the lack of responsibility:) I miss perkins and coffee and shopping at the Goodwill while Kim turned her nose up at us!

BTW - have you been on Calvin's campus lately? They took down the walls by BV & NVW and replaced them with cafe tables.

edejong said...

I remember those days. One of my favorite Dick St memories is when we made Fondue for the guys and smoked the place out! Good times :).

But, I agree, I wouldn't want to go back. What drama we had living in the hood! Cars getting keyed, people pushing lawn mowers down the street in the middle of the night, roommates, flooded basements with floaties plus much more!

kkoois said...

ahhh, the good ol' days!! i also have those pictures from that day! good times, good times.

happy belated anniversary to you, two! i very much remember all the differences between you at the beginning, but that is part of what made you two a great pair. but, i'm with you on the minutes vs. miles thing - miles just does not accurately describe the length of time to get somewhere...

p.s. did you think my cowboy boots were tacky, too?!?!?

holly said...

aahhh, the good ole' days. I have two words for you shield benefits. Need i say more?? and yes, i sure do remember your wedding... or do i??